Okay - so I love to run. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I really love a good run in the morning. I've gotten back into better habits and try to go every day. I've not been good since school got out...between YM and YW camp, family in town, and the beauty of sleeping in during summer months, I've slacked. So, I'm back into it and loving it. There is a track around the park near our house, and I can walk there, do my run, and walk back and I've done a solid two miles. Perfect. I'm working on losing a few pounds and have lost 6 in the past two weeks, so I'm happy about that.
So here's the scoop...Gabe is my 11 year old starting middle school and he's a pretty athletic kid. Yesterday I didn't run in the morning, so I decided to head out in the evening after it'd cooled off (mind you, in Texas that means anything under 90 degrees!). Gabe wanted to run with me, so I told him that was fine but that I kept the same pace, didn't want to stop to wait if he dropped behind, yadda yadda. He was cool with it, so I let him hang with me - fun thing to do together. The only problem was that right away he started running and kept a good pace AHEAD of me by about 20 yards. At first I thought he was showing off, but he kept that pace up for almost a mile. Meanwhile, I'm starting to breathe pretty deep, have a good sweat going, and all the stuff that comes with a workout in the Texas sun. Gabe stops to wait for me about halfway through, and while I'm wiping sweat and breathing deep, he's not even phased except for saying out loud, "Mom, I think I feel some sweat coming." PUNK. We finished the run, with him ahead of me the entire time, except for an occasional stop when he'd jog in place and wait for me to catch up. My face is a lovely shade of tomato at the end while his hasn't changed a bit. I knew he was a good athlete, but I was honestly impressed with that kid and his abilities, even though he showed me up BIG TIME. Ha ha!
I have 7 nieces in town for the month and we're enjoying every second of them being here, though we're busy as can be every day.
15 years ago


3 comments:
That is so funny! I think its great that you are so consistent with your running. I've been trying since October to be consistent about going to the gym-HA! I wish we lived closer so we could go together-although I would probably be half a lap behind you the whole time. We would need walkie-talkies to talk to each other. :)
You are a great mom. You've already realized that you can admire your kids while they're leaving you in the dust.
How funny! Kids are totally like that though! I miss you and I'm glad to see you out running again...but 6 lbs in 2 weeks, girl give me a little of that goodness! That's awesome! When things chill with your family in town, call me for a lunchey date!
Post a Comment